All films must include cold water surfing ( surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing or SUP)
Movies of all genres and formats are accepted, but must include cold water surfing
Movies from all over the world are accepted (even from outside Earth, if there are any)
Completion Date: Film must have been finished on or after February 1st, 2020
Length: Short films are under 30 minutes; Feature films are considered over 30 minutes.
Language: Films produced in languages other than English must have English subtitles.
Submission dates: October 8th 2021 – March 1st, 2022
Filmmakers may submit more than one film, but each film must be accompanied by it’s own submission form and fee.
All submission fees are non-refundable.
Formats: Entries must be submitted via FilmFreeway, with a working screener.
Notification: Films selected for screening will be notified on or around March 15 , 2022.
2022 CHSFF OFFICIAL SELECTION
Films will be officially announced no later than April, 2022.
All files must be in the following formats (.mov): ApplePro Res or DCP
Please ensure you have filled out all sections of the entry form. If your film is selected, the synopsis you provide will be used in our promotional material.
We are an environmentally conscious event – it is our preference to receive digital copies of films – as this reduces environmental waste and carbon footprints. It is our policy to encourage you the filmmakers to reduce your own carbon footprint – we discourage physical screeners and we will not return them unless you provide a pre-paid envelope or a courier pick-up.
We love Vimeo, hopefully you do too – if you opt to send us a link to your film on vimeo please make sure the download option is activated on Vimeo and/or FilmFreeway upon acceptance.
DO NOT place colour bars, ID slates or long periods of black at the head (or tail) of films.
Filmmakers will receive 2 All-Access Passes.
The CHSFF reserves the right to make any necessary changes in 2022 CHSFF scheduling to make everything run properly.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
– The filmmaker has read and understood the rules and regulations and to the best of their knowledge, all statements are true. The filmmaker is duly authorized to submit this film to the Cold Hawaii Surf & Film Festival.
– CHSFF reserves the right to disqualify any submission without refund of submission fees.
– While premieres are not requirements for CHSFF, this information is taken into consideration when making final programming decisions.
– Upon submission, the filmmaker consents to allowing their screener material to be shared in its entirety with appropriate CHSFF staff, including programming staff, volunteer screeners, and other appropriate members of staff; shared with press outlets in efforts to secure press for the film; with final jury members; and with select individuals representing community partners who may be interested in supporting the film’s screening or taking part in a panel or q&a associated with the film.
-The festival is hereby also granted the right to utilize image(s) and/or biographical information of the filmmakers for promotional purposes. The festival reserves the right to fill in any information not supplied by the filmmaker from whatever source available and will not be responsible if incorrect information is entered.
– It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to secure authorization for any copyrighted material that may be used in the film. The filmmaker shall indemnify and hold harmless Cold Hawaii Surf & Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
– When a movie is submitted, you give CHSFF the right to screen the film, if selected for
the official selection.
– CHSFF does not pay screening fees for submitted film, nor it can guarantee shipping, travel or distribution cost for filmmakers.
– By submitting, the filmmaker expressly acknowledges and agrees to these terms in consideration for CHSFF’s consideration of their film, and they agree that they shall be bound by the terms of this agreement.